The goal of WSU SURE is to provide undergraduate students in the life sciences and related fields an opportunity to participate in ongoing active research programs. Working closely with faculty and graduate students, the participants will gain hands on experience with biomedical research.
Who is eligible?
Participants must be currently registered at a two or four year college, and may not have received their Bachelor's degree prior to July 2017. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 and should be planning to pursue an MD-PhD or a PhD in the biomedical sciences. Women, members of demographic groups traditionally underrepresented in the sciences, and students from community colleges or institutions that do not offer research opportunities for undergraduates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Students at all levels of their undergraduate work are sought for this program, and majors such as biology, neuroscience, biochemistry, and microbiology; as well as students from chemistry, physics, math, and other technical majors are encouraged to apply. Yes, we take Freshmen through Seniors, we do hope to have a broad mix of students at various levels of their college careers, so don't hold back from applying just because you haven't had any research experience! Participants must have a valid US SSN or be eligible to obtain one prior to entering the program.
- March 15, 2017 -- Applications Due
- April 15, 2017 -- Notifications of acceptance sent to participants
- May 1, 2017 -- Participant confirmation of attendance and mentor selections due
- June 1, 2017 -- SURE program begins
- August 4, 2017 -- SURE Symposium, program ends
How to Apply:
- A current curriculum vitae or extended resume that includes any academic or other honors that you have received
- A copy of your academic transcripts (unofficial copies are encouraged).
In addition to the application you must provide:
- Two letters of recommendation. Please ask your references to send a PDF as an attachment in an email to Dr. Samantha Gizerian (email@example.com); hard copies sent via the mail are not required.
Note: YOU are responsible for having your references submit letters of recommendation before the deadline. Please ask your references for a letter BEFORE you apply.
Your cv/resume and transcripts should be attached to your application using the upload provided in the form. Please make sure the transcripts are legible. Please request your letters of recommendation be sent electronically to Dr. Samantha Gizerian (firstname.lastname@example.org). If transmission of application materials is not possible electronically, please email to make alternative arrangements.